Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dancer dance series painting

Dancer dance series painting
Bierstadt Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains California painting
Bierstadt Autumn Woods painting
Knight Knight Picking Flowers painting
has anything declared him indifferent to me. I have had to contend against the unkindness of his sister, and the insolence of his mother, and have suffered the punishment of an attachment without enjoying its advantages. And all this has been going on at a time when, as you too well know, it has not been my only unhappiness. If you can think me capable of ever feeling -- surely you may suppose that I have suffered now. The composure of mind with which I have brought myself at present to consider the matter, the consolation that I have been willing to admit, have been the effect of constant and painful exertion; -- they did not spring up of themselves; they did not occur to relieve my spirits at first, -- no, Marianne. Then, if I had not been bound to silence, perhaps nothing could have kept me entirely -- not even what I owed to my dearest friends -- from openly shewing that I was very unhappy."
Marianne was quite subdued.
"Oh! Elinor," she cried, "you have made me hate myself for ever. How barbarous have I been to you! -- you, who have been my only comfort, who have borne with me in all my misery, who have seemed to be only suffering for me! -- Is this my gratitude! Is this the only return I can make you? Because your merit cries out upon myself, I have been trying to do it away."

No comments: